Thursday, May 20, 2010

Plastic-shoe-obsessions; Dark and Stormy Jazz; and the Possibility of a future full of holes


So wednessday was jam-packed!

I ended up missing the VIP Portion of the Melissa sale due to rain (among other things) and laziness. However, I made up for it on Wednesday with these babies. They are supremely comfortable and make up for a lifetime of separating my recyclables in the apt and then throwing it all down the trash shoot anyway.

I met two friendly, and highly entertaining Melissa devotees with a self proclaimed "little plastic shoe problem." One of which owns 25 such Melissa shoes, the other, a less outstanding but still impressive 12 pairs. There is definately a cult following out there (and with good reason).

She was nice enough to let me snap this pic of her in some gorgeous anti-gravity looking plastic pumps before she made what can only be described as a running leap towards a pair of gold oxfords in the other corner of the room.

Gotta love the shoe-aholics.

The prices were pretty decent, considering. They ranged from $15 Bird's nest bags to $25 for peep-toe and ballet flats to $100 for the nutty architectural masterpieces and Jean Paul Gaultier Collaborations (which were all gone by the time we got there).

The sale was held at one of those ultra-mod, metal-clad, apartment buildings with a single orchid in the lobby and an absolutely massive elevator. You know, the kind where Marc Jacobs lives on the 15th floor and trades recipes with Zoe Saldana on the 14th floor. Casually, of course.

There were boxes everywhere without it being too messy or too crazy with women grasping at little plastic shoes. Overall I vote yes on this sale.

PS. Shout out to Dianna who remembered my face/name from the last sale they had (partly because it's her name with one less "n." I was impressed anyway).


The sale runs till the 25th so there's still time. I hear there will be a re-stocking for Saturday so you might be able to catch a few things we missed.

Best of Luck and Happy Shopping!

Part two of the night involved one of my favorite little spots in Chelsea: Tillmans. This "speak-easy style" restaurant and bar boasts an intimate atmostphere, good music and weekly jazz performances. Plus, a friend of mine was throwing a week of B-Day events for her 26th (oldie) and invited us there for a get-together. Last night was a whole ensemble including a horn section (my favorite), scatting, several guitars and oversize bowties. Good Times.

Good music, good friends, great food. We were trying to find a place for my friend to get her nose pierced (because today felt like a good day to poke holes in herself, lol). But we failed due to full bellies and strong drinks. No worries though, it was a nice little wrap-up of the night. I'll leave you with this little jem, courtesy of one Ms. Kris Keys.



When asked how the night went, the answer:

"Fan-Tabulous!"

Highlight of the night: My little plastic dreams
Drink of the night: Caiprinha
Quote of the night: "do you think I need to re-consider this new hole?"
Runner up: "Keep your hands off of my oranges!"

Luv,
me

2 comments: